Translational Nutrition: Optimizing Brain Health
Call for Abstracts
The College invites you to submit an abstract of your research in nutrition science to be considered for presentation at our 56th Annual Conference Translational Health: Optimizing Brain Health. There are two sessions during the conference, one devoted to brain health, and the other to any area of nutrition science. The submission deadline is May 29, 2015. To submit an abstract, fill out the online form.
Follow us on Twitter @AmColNutrition, and join the conversation #ACN15
Wednesday, November 11
Symposium I--Nutrition for the Developing Brain with Martha Herbert, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School and a pediatric neurologist.
- President's Welcome: Beverly B. Teter, PhD, MACN, CNS. Dr. Teter is a lipid biochemist at the University of Maryland. She has studied the chemistry, biochemistry and metabolic effects of trans fatty acids for nearly 30 years.
- Disruptors of Development in Infancy & How They Can be Modulated by Nutrition with Ali Carine, DO. Dr. Carine provides comprehensive, wholistic primary care for children. Her practice provides a medical home to many children with special needs, such as autism.
- Nutrigenomics & Brain Development: Are We Ready to Optimize Pregnancy Outcomes with Martha Herbert, MD, PhD
- Media Award Presentation: Brain Maker with David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM. Dr. Perlmutter is a board-certified neurologist and Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. The Media Award recognizes his contribution to public awareness that brain disorders and dysfunction may be preventable with lifestyle changes, specifically a low carbohydrate/higher fat diet coupled with aerobic exercise.
Thursday, November 12
- The Gut/Brain Axis with David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM.
Symposium II--Nutrition & the Eye with Shalesh Kaushal, MD, PhD & Ananda Prasad, MD, PhD, MACN
- Nutrition & the Eye with Shahlesh Kaushal, MD, PhD. Dr. Shalesh Kaushal is an ophthalmologist in The Villages, Florida and is affiliated with UMass Memorial Medical Center. He received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and has been in practice for 26 years.
- Zinc & the Eye with Ananda Prasad, MD, PhD, MACN. Dr. Prasad is a biochemist specializing in the role of zinc in the human metabolism. He received his doctorate at the University of Minnesota and worked in Iran before moving to the United States, joining Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan.
Symposium III--Nutrient Therapies for Brain Health moderated by Michael D. Lewis, MD, MPH, MBA, FACPM. Dr. Lewis is President of the Brain Health Education and Research Foundation, and his work focuses on the clinical use of omega-3 fatty acids for brain injuries and trauma.
- Vitamin D & Cognitive Decline with William Grant, PhD , Dr. William Grant is an epidemiologist and founder of the nonprofit organization Sunlight, Nutrition and Health Research Center. Dr. Grant is the Science Director of the Vitamin D Council and also serves on their Board.
- Fish Oil--Neuroprotection: Nutrients to Protect the Brain from PTSD, Injury and Aging with Michael Lewis, MD, MPH, MBA, FACPM
- Nutrient Therapies for Brain Health with Devra Lee Davis, PhD, MPH. Dr. Davis is the Founder/President of Environmental Health Trust, a non-profit providing research and education about environmental health hazards, and promoting constructive policies locally, nationally and internationally.
- Research Briefs the latest research in the field.
Friday, November 13
Symposium IV--The Impact of Ketones & Carbohydrates on Brain Related Disorders moderated by Steven Masley, MD. Dr. Masley is a board and fellow certified family physician and nutritionist, author, speaker, and award-winning patient educator. His research focuses on the impact of lifestyle choices on aging, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, cognitive function, menopause and weight control.
- Multiple Sclerosis with Terry Wahls, MD. Dr. Wahls is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Iowa who restored her health after being diagnosed with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.
- Ketogenic Diet & Brain Disorders: Seizures Migraines, Epilepsy & TBI with Eric H.W. Kossoff, MD. Dr. Kossoff is an Associate Professor of Neurology and Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Children's Center. He focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of childhood seizures and epilepsy, particularly treatments other than medications such as diet, neurostimulation and surgery.
Symposium V--Nutrition in Slowing Progression/Reversing Cognitive Dysfunction
- Reversal of Cognitive Decline with Dale Bredeson, MD, Dr. Bredesen is an internationally recognized expert in the mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, and the Founding President/CEO of the Buck Institute.
- Depression Biotypes Nutrition Therapy with William Walsh, PhD, Dr. Walsh is a scientist paving the way for nutrient-based psychiatry and nutritional medicine.
- Copper & Alzheimer's Disease with George Brewer, MD, MACN, Dr. Brewer is the Sellner Emeritus Professor of Human Genetics and Emeritus Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan Medical School. He is also a renowned researcher on Wilson's disease, an inherited disease of copper accumulation and copper toxicity, and Alzheimer's disease.
- Interactive Panel Discussion/Q&A
Make your room reservations early! A block of rooms is being held for us until October 20, 2015 at B Resort & Spa. After this date, reservations will be accepted on a space and rate availability basis only. Be sure to mention the American College of Nutrition reduced rate if making your reservations over the phone.
B Resort & Spa
1905 Hotel Plaza Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: (407) 828-2828
Reserve your room today!
Rates and Reservations
We are fortunate to have obtained special low rates at the hotel starting at $179 per night for single occupancy/$199 for double occupancy (plus tax and parking). All rooms also come with:
- Discounted self-parking at $10 per day
- Daily breakfast voucher for hotel restaurant, American Q
- 20% Discount on spa services
- No Resort Fee
- Complimentary use of the fitness center
- Complimentary internet
The B Resort & Spa is a brand new lifestyle resort located 17 miles from the Orlando International Airport. As a guest of the B Resort & Spa, you are staying inside the Walt Disney World® Resort and will enjoy a variety of special benefits including complimentary shuttle transportation to all four theme parks and the Downtown Disney® area; priority seating for Disney dinner shows and theme park restaurants; and preferred tee times at the Disney championship golf courses.
Need help planning your trip to Orlando? Visit the Orlando Tourism Bureau website created just for conference attendees!
For media requests, please email email@example.com